Visit the Place Where the American Revolution Began at the Lexington Historic Houses!

Lexington Historic Houses

#AdventuresAwait attraction of the week:

Lexington Historic Houses

Lexington, MA

http://www.lexingtonhistory.org/visit.html

Visit the place where the American Revolution began and hear both sides of the story. Tour the only historically furnished sites relating to the Battle of Lexington on April 19, 1775. Walk in the footsteps of Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and George Washington.

DESCRIPTIONS:

Buckman Tavern

1 Bedford Street, Lexington

Built in 1710, this central tavern on the Green was a gathering place for both locals and travelers and the site of many important town meetings. Captain Parker and his militia gathered in this tavern in the early morning hours of April 19, 1775, to await the oncoming British Redcoat troops. 

Munroe Tavern - Closed for Construction

1332 Massachusetts Ave

Built in 1735, this important tavern was taken over and used by the British Redcoat troops on their retreat back to Boston in the afternoon of April 19, 1775. Learn about the British perspective of the day’s events and see where President Washington dined when he visited Lexington and this Tavern in 1789. Highlights: Relics of the Redcoats exhibit, Garden of Colonial Flowers.

Lexington Green

Outdoor attraction, open year-round

See the Lexington Green where the first battle of the American Revolution took place on April 19, 1775. Visit the historical markers and monuments on your own, or schedule a group tour . Visit in April to see the reenactment of this famous battle. The Battle Green is attended to by colonial period costumed guides for most of the spring, summer and fall seasons. The guides, who are employees of the Town of Lexington, serve a function similar to park rangers. They give free tours of the Green including a detailed account of the events of April 19, 1775 and can answer other questions regarding Lexington’s history and attractions.

Old Belfry

Outdoor attraction, open year-round

The Belfry was located on the Lexington Common (noted with a stone marker today) during the 18th century where it summoned people to worship and tolled for deaths and alarms. From this Belfry, the alarm was sounded on the morning of April 19, 1775, calling the militia to the Common.

The Belfry that stands today is an exact replica, built by the Historical Society in 1910, after the original was destroyed in a gale in 1909. A 19th century bell now hangs in the Belfry and is tolled each year to signal the start of the Patriots' Day reenactment. 

Old Burying Ground

Outdoor attraction, open year-round

The Old Burying Ground dates back to 1690 and contains the remains of many well-known Lexingtonians, including the grave of Captain John Parker, ministers John Hancock and Jonas Clarke and their spouses, and an unnamed Redcoat soldier who was wounded in Lexington during the battle on April 19, 1775 and died a few days later.

EVENT SPACE: The Lexington Depot is owned by Lexington Historical Society. It is located in the heart of Lexington at 13 Depot Square. The Depot was built in 1846 and served as an active train station until rail service was terminated in 1977. The Historical Society acquired the building in 1999 and completed renovations in 2005.

The Depot houses the Society’s offices and is available for rent. Consider us for your next birthday, anniversary or corporate function. The Depot building is available for rent by Lexington residents and businesses ONLY and ONLY for adult functions.  

The Depot is a historic building and rentals will be limited to those that are appropriate for the space.

Please familiarize yourself with our rental provisions by looking at the material on this website before contacting the Lexington Historical Society Office. To check on date availability, please contact the Society office