Dracut Seal

Dracut, Massachusetts

The Town of Dracut is situated on the periphery of Lowell and southern New Hampshire. In 1653, the community was part of the Wamiset Praying Town, one of the preserves set aside by the colonists for Christianized Indians.

The town has several large ponds, bogs and swamps and numerous brooks. Its early economy relied on fishing and milling of lumber, which led to its 19th century industries of paper making and cotton textile manufacturing. These mills attracted Irish and French Canadian immigrants. Some of Dracut’s rural landscapes survive along the state boundary, as do some handsome historic houses. One of the better known is the 290-year-old Coburn/Cutter House, with its massive beams, huge center chimney and fireplaces. The building, dating from about 1700, has served as the site of annual crafts fairs in Dracut.

Dracut’s residents are well regarded for their volunteerism and their willingness to help both individuals and families in distress.  The Town is situated so as to provide ready access to the Lowell and Boston metropolitan areas to the south, the Atlantic seacoast to the east and the mountains and lakes of New England to the north. There is an abundance of recreational, healthcare and educational institutions all within an hour or less drive.

Dracut, MA

Quick Facts

Incorporated in:
1701
Population:
29,457
Total Area:
21.4 sq. miles
Land Area:
20.9 sq. miles
Density:
1,408 per sq. mile
Median Household Income:
$72,793
Median Household Size:
2.7

City Resources

Town Hall Phone:
978-453-0951
Town Website:
http://www.dracut-ma.us
Fire Department Phone:
978-454-2113
Police Department Phone:
978-957-2123

City Transportation

Highways:
State Route 38 and 113

Schools and Education

Brookside Elementary, Campbell Elementary, Dracut HS, Englesby Elementary, Greenmont Elementary, Richardson Middle School