Tyngsborough lies on the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border, 30 miles north of Boston and just south of the town of Nashua, NH, and was founded in 1661 by Colonel Jonathan Tyng. The Tyng Mansion House is one of the oldest homes north of Boston. During the foundation period, settlers of Tyngsborough fought a series of small skirmishes with local Indian tribes, which is why several of the colonial-era homes in the town still have the emergency passageways used during attacks.
Tyngsborough is made up mainly of suburban neighborhoods with some rural forest and farming areas remaining from the town’s earlier days. Tyngsborough is dotted with streams, lakes and great ponds. It has long been recognized as the ‘gateway’ to the White Mountians, located only thirty minutes from Boston along the Route 3 corridor. The high school is well known for its sports programs and competitive spirit.
Known for its distinctive green bridge over the Merrimack River, Tyngsborough has a population of 11,292 (2010 census) and a growing business community.