Lowell National Historical Park News Release
Release date: Immediate
Contact(s): Phil Lupsiewicz
Phone number: 978-275-1705
Date: April 4, 2016
Release code: 16-19
FIND YOUR PARK with Free Family Fun –
National Park Week at Lowell National Historical Park
Lowell, Massachusetts. — Celebrate Spring in Lowell and Find Your Park during the National Park Service Centennial! Make Lowell National Historical Park your destination for free family fun during National Park Week, April 16 – 24, 2016. This week is filled with celebrations and events that can fill a school vacation schedule. Check out all that’s happening in Lowell in addition to PLAY-cation and National Park Week.
● Kids Take the Lead: Students have a chance to be "teachers" when they bring their families to the Tsongas Industrial History Center for Kids Take the Lead on Saturday, April 16, 2016. Join us from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
● Junior Ranger Day: Saturday, April 16th . Explore, Learn, Protect! Kids can take part in a downtown scavenger hunt and earn a junior ranger badge and become a Centennial Junior Ranger. All day at the Visitor Center and through PLAYcation week, while supplies last.
● Fee-free days at Boott Cotton Mills Museum: April 16th to the 24th, bring the family, experience the feeling of an operational 1920’s era weaveroom & more.
● April PLAYcation: This year, families will enjoy an exciting variety of new programs, and returning favorites. There’s something for everyone, from toddlers to teenagers! April 18 - 24. Events are hosted by several partner organizations and take place at locations throughout Lowell. Most programs are free, and many require pre-registration – so plan ahead and register early! The complete schedule of events will be available at www.lowellkidsweek.org.
● Celebrate Earth Day: with arts workshops Monday-Friday in preparation for UMASS Lowell’s big Earth Day celebration and parade on Saturday, April 23! Visit www.lowellearthday.org for a complete schedule of events.
● Every Kid in a Park: Fourth grade students can still get their free pass to share with their family to access federal public lands through August 31, 2016. Check out https://www.everykidinapark.gov/ and bring your printout to the Visitor Center.
April PLAYcation is just one part of the exciting family programming planned during the National Park Centennial in 2016 at Lowell National Historical Park. Find details for these and many other exciting programs during school vacation week at www.lowellkidsweek.org/.
To learn more about park offerings, including Bringing the Park to the People series in neighborhood parks, the Junior Ranger program, Boott Cotton Mills Museum, Mill Girls and Immigrants Exhibit, ranger-led tours, and upcoming special events stop by the Visitor Center at 246 Market Street, or contact Lowell National Historical Park at (978) 970-5000, or visit www.nps.gov/lowe .
- NPS -